My favorite make-ahead breakfast, packed with fiber and protein and incredibly versatile! Truth is, I’m not a hot oatmeal or even muesli lover, so this is the perfect nourishing breakfast with all of the added health benefits. Feel free to mix and match flavors- add different fruit, dried fruit, nuts, seeds and other nut butters to make this recipe your own.
Yield: 10-12 oatmeal bars
2 apples, cored and diced (whatever kind you have on hand)
1/4 tsp salt
2 cups milk (dairy or non-dairy)
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 cup maple syrup
1/4 cup creamy peanut butter (substitute
3 cups oats
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup walnuts (substitute pecans, almonds, pistachios!)
- In a small pan, saute apples for 10-15 minutes on low heat until soft. Sprinkle with salt and set aside to cool.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the milk, eggs, vanilla, maple syrup and peanut butter until smooth. Add in the rest of the ingredients and stir until fully combined.
- Pour the mixture into a prepared 9×13 pan and bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes or until set and firm.
- Allow to cool before cutting into squares. Keep in the refrigerator in an air tight container for up to 1 week.
- Serve with extra peanut butter, fresh berries and a drizzle of maple syrup!