As much as everyone (except me) hates to admit, soup season is upon us! A long and cold day calls for a warm bowl of chili for dinner. Luckily, this one is packed with tons of veggies, fiber and lean protein. Keeping up with those classic flavors, top with grated cheddar cheese, tortilla chips, plain Greek yogurt (you won’t even miss the sour cream), and fresh cilantro!
Yield: 6-8 ish servings
1 Tablespoon olive oil
1 lb lean ground turkey (sub- ground chicken or ground beef)
1 Tablespoon each: garlic cloves (minced), paprika
1 teaspoon each: chili powder, salt, pepper, oregano, cumin
1 onion, diced
2 bell peppers, diced (any color, whatever you have)
3/4 cup carrots, diced
2 cups chicken stock
1 large can, diced tomatoes
2 Tablespoons tomato paste
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- In a large pot heat the olive oil over medium heat.
- Add the ground turkey and cook for about 5 minutes or until partially cooked, stirring occasionally.
- Add the spices, veggies and stock. Cover and cook on low heat for about 15 minutes or until vegetables begin to soften.
- Add the diced tomatoes, tomato paste and beans. Stir until combined.
- Cover once again and cook on low heat for 45-50 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Keep refrigerated in an airtight container for 1 week!