Yield: 4 servings (1/2 a squash each)
2 acorn squash, halved and seeds removed (or the globe of a butternut squash)
2 Tablespoons olive oil
1/3 cup celery, diced
1/3 cup carrots, diced
1/2 cup apple, diced (skin on- for extra fiber)
1/2 an onion, diced
1 1/2 cups barley (cooked according to package instructions)
1 Tablespoon maple syrup
1/2 Tablespoon mustard
1/4 cup dried cranberries
1/4 cup toasted sunflower seeds
Sprinkle of salt & pepper
Optional: top with 1/4 cup crumbled goat cheese before serving
- Roast the squash halves at 375 for 45 minutes with a brush of olive oil and a sprinkle of salt and pepper.
- In a saute pan, add the olive oil, celery, carrots, apples and onions and saute on medium heat for 10 minutes or until veggies are softened.
- Once vegetables are ready, add the barley and stir until well combined.
- Stir in the maple syrup, mustard, cranberries, sunflower seeds, salt & pepper. Mix to combine.
- Once squash is out of the oven, scoop in barley mixture and serve! Optional: crumble 1/2 Tablespoon goat cheese over each serving.