While this recipe may not seem “healthbyhayl approved,” I’m making an exception because these babies are DELICIOUS and life is all about balance. These sweet rolls are filled with warm cinnamon, brown sugar and butta so they are sure to please your sweet tooth (and they’re made with whole wheat flour so they’re kinda healthyish).
If you aren’t a fan of the orange glaze or pistachios, feel free to add whatever flavor combo you like! Go classic or add almonds, lemon zest, and even raisins.
Here’s what I did:
Adapted from Ambitious Kitchen
Yield: about 12-14 rolls
For the dough:
3/4 cup milk (heated to 110-115 degrees F)
2 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast (or one packet)
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 butter, melted
2 cups whole wheat flour
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
For the filling:
3/4 cup brown sugar
2 Tablespoons ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 cup butter, softened
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup pistachios, chopped
For the icing:
1 cup powdered sugar
1 teaspoon orange zest
2 Tablespoons orange juice
- Add the warm milk to the bowl of an electric mixer and sprinkle the yeast over the top.
- Let sit for 5 minutes or until yeast is foamy.
- Add in sugar, eggs, and butter, mixing to combine.
- Next, stir in flours and salt, mixing on low until a dough begins to form.
- Knead dough with dough hook attachment for 8-10 minutes or until the ball of dough comes away from the bowl.
- Cover the dough and let it rise for 1 hour or until it has doubled in size.
- Transfer the dough to a floured surface and roll into a large rectangle.
- In a small bowl, mix the filling ingredients until well combined.
- Spread the mixture evenly over the dough.
- Tightly roll the dough up until a long log forms.
- Cut into 1 inch pieces and place into a sprayed pie dish. Cover these babies in a towel and let them rise for 30 minutes.
- Bake at 350 F for 25-30 minutes or until the edges are slightly golden.
- To make the frosting: mix all ingredients in a small bowl until smooth. If too thick, add more orange juice and if too thin, add more powdered sugar.
- Pour the glaze over the buns and top with extra chopped pistachios!