I’m a chocolate chip banana bread girl through & through, but when I mentioned blueberries and walnuts my mom went crazy… hence the x 2 for this recipe. The base of the banana bread is delicious on its own or feel free to mix in your favorite extras.
Some mix-in ideas: chocolate chips, fresh blueberries + walnuts, frozen cherries + pistachios, almonds, nutella, peanut butter (I could go on forever, I mean was doesn’t go well with banana bread??).
Base Banana Bread Recipe (adapted from Giada De Laurentiis Banana Bread Recipe)
Yield: 1 loaf
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup olive oil
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 ripe bananas, mashed
Add-ins : 1 cup each (for blueberry walnut- 1 cup blueberries (fresh or frozen), 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and spray a loaf pan with non-stick spray.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the flour, baking soda, salt, baking powder, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- In a separate bowl combine the sugar, oil, eggs, vanilla and bananas.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet and mix until just combined (do not over mix).
- Fold in extras until evenly incorporated into the batter.
- Pour batter into prepared loaf pan and bake for 1 hour or until a cake tester comes out clean.
- Cool for 1 hour before slicing!