Yield: 4-6 servings
1/4 cup olive oil
1 cup flour
1 large eggplant, cut into 1 inch cubes
3-4 large tomatoes, diced (about 1 1/2 cups total)
1/2 cup fresh mozzarella cheese, diced
3 Tbsp balsamic vinegar (or your favorite prepared dressing)
Salt & Pepper, to taste
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat.
- Whisk eggs in a shallow bowl and season with salt and pepper. Pour flour into a separate shallow dish.
- Start the breading procedure for the eggplant: first, coat the eggplant pieces in the eggs, then into the flour. Shake off excess flour before placing eggplant pieces into the hot oil. Do not overcrowd the pan.
- Cook on medium-high heat for 3-5 minutes on each side (tossing occasionally) until eggplant is browned and crispy. Place eggplant pieces onto a dish in one even layer to cool.
- In a separate bowl, combine the tomatoes, mozzarella and balsamic. Season with salt and pepper.
- Just before serving, add the eggplant to the bowl with tomatoes and mozzarella, toss to combine. Salad can be served room temperature or cold.